Friday 27 September 2013

Biblo Baggins- First Sketch

The drawing I've chosen to submit first is this sketch of Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit. It has been hanging in the front of my sketchbook for a while, now and then I choose to add little details and things that I missed, or alter it in some way, but for now I am happy with it.

Clearly, I didn't go for a complete realistic look, especially when you are comparing it to the actual picture, it is a lot different in some ways. I appropriated his stance and other details and then went my own way with it, instead of drawing it from the source completely. I rather went for an almost exaggerated and cartoon-like look for the face, which I think captures his character well. The overall intention was to go for a kind of "older" Bilbo, almost an amalgam of Martin Freeman and his Lord of the Rings counterpart Ian Holm, and his transition into old age.

I am certainly not finished with it, If I ever get around to making any drastic alterations I may make a post in the future as a follow up, but for now I will leave it as it is and move on to other projects!

If you have any criticism I would love to hear it! Thanks!


5 comments:

  1. Amazing drawing! You have a great talent and I love that you are openly sharing your drawings. I think this post is great because you identify your personal reasons for drawing the character the way you did, as well as adding background information to the character and back story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mix between the cartoon-like and realistic look, although I think the shading could be a bit darker, I really do enjoy the soft and aura of comfort it has around it so far. The Hobbit has to be one of my favourite novels, and I'm looking forward to see what else you create! Are you planning to sketch any other characters from The Hobbit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very talented and creative drawing hand Mr. Saheeny. This piece of work portrays your obvious vast interest in the hobbit and the lord of the rings. I am truly looking forward to the sketches to come. Fantastic work young man. Change your background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your drawings benj! You definitly have some raw talent. I would love to see where your talents takes you. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete