Wednesday 23 October 2013

Goblin Wielding Weaponry-Ballpoint on Paper



So this drawing, as you can read in the title, is yet another fantasy thing, but unlike my older drawings, isn't based off an existing piece of art, but straight from my head. Doing drawings this way can be frustrating, and despite what people may think, it is very hard to do compared to simply drawing something from memory or from a picture. It is a tough task to map out all the body parts and gesture and positioning, and even harder to keep sticking to it. For this reason there are hundreds of drawings littering my books that I consider to be bad. Drawing this way makes it easy to lose focus and subsequently produce something that doesn't look like what you wanted, since there isn't anything to base it off of.

That being said, sometimes out of the many failed ones in my sketchbook, some shine and I decide to go along with them. Sticking with a drawing is usually the best thing I can do to make it work, and I definitely feel this way about this drawing.

It just sort of came together nicely, despite having to cover up a portion of his right arm with a shield, which I think is the worst part of the drawing.

The idea the character was based off of was sort of an amalgam of things. It started off as me trying to draw a cool looking helmet, after that I made a nose, and then made it pointy. And then I stuck a menacing eye in there, and decided that it looked like a goblin of some sort from The Lord of the Rings, with this inspiration in mind, I added more and more things, going with the idea, and began fleshing it out more. At this point I consider it a nice little sketch, not my best, but I'm still proud of it and like how it turned out.

As always, if you have any suggestions, critiques, or want to leave something nice to stay on my blog forever, feel free you will only hurt my feelings a little!

2 comments:

  1. Benji, I love this! It's great to see something that you, yourself have created. I'm envious! This is absolutely incredible. I love that you also explained how this sketch came to be. Awesome work Benji. I look forward to seeing more original pieces!

    ReplyDelete